Thursday 21 March 2013

Comet Pan-Starr

Things that fly includes things that flew...... past us in outer space. Yes, hurtling past the earth at an estimated 40,000 miles per hour, is the spectacularly bright comet called
Pan-Starrs. It gets its name from the telescope in Hawaii it was spotted on. It was first seen in the southern hemisphere in February, and was visible in the northern hemisphere in March. Unfortunately, I didn't see it from where I am, here in London.It was supposed to be at it's brightest at around the 10th to the 14th of March. Awh! I do believe I missed it, and it's not coming back for another 110,000 years! That is one MASSIVE orbit is it not?


Well, this is as close as I'm ever going to get to this 'dirty ice ball' as I seen it described somewhere. Be that as it may, it's not the first thought that springs to mind when you actually see it for the first time. ''Wow''! ''What's that you just said?'' ''Dirty ball of ice?'' ''NO WAY'', ''OK, maybe, WHATEVER!''    ''WOW! Now those would have been my retorts had I been fortunate enough to have seen this phenomenon and had some one telling me it's a dirty ball of ice hurtling through space! What ever it is, it doesn't look like a ball of dirty ice does it? I mean, just look at the comet's tail. Now how fantastic is that?


Whatever it is, Comet Pan-Starr is definitely a once in a life time thing. I'm so glad that we have the technology today to be able to capture such fantastic images of things that fly.............in outer space!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A380 taking off